The Adams County Commissioners have proclaimed September 15 to October 15 as 2021 Hispanic Heritage Month and Sunday Sept. 19 as Adams County Heritage Festival Day. The festival will occur from 12:00 to 4:00 p.m. in the Gettysburg Area Recreational Park.
Yeimi Gagliardi from the Hispanic American Center Manos Unidas said the county was “continuing to support programs and services of the immigrant community. Our children are growing in Adams County and hopefully thinking this is home. A goal is to have a place where people feel safe. We also have places to volunteer to learn more about the Hispanic culture and sometimes have Spanish learning classes.”
Organizer Bill Collinge said the Heritage Festival is the only multicultural festival left in the county and is in its 30th year. The event will feature a Latin jazz band, Chinese line dancers, a soul and gospel band, as well as children’s activities, non profit vendors, crafts and food vendors. The children’s bicycle parade will begin at 1:00 p.m.
Also at the festival will be a vaccine clinic sponsored by the festival and Wellspan. In addition, there will be oral history accounts where people can talk about their heritage and association with the county.
The commissioners also proclaimed 2021 Hunger Action Month. Gagliardi spoke as a representative from the county’s Food Policy Council. She spoke on food insecurity in Adams County and how the council finds financial support for residents. For example, they give out vouchers for the farmers market to seniors, and they sponsor “Double Dollars” to families that receive SNAP assistance during the winter months. They also have a food policy guide and supply food for summer programs as well as the after school programs.
Ryan Prater from the Central PA food Bank said, in a food insecure family, “a meal is a choice between eating and paying a bill.” He also stated the goal is to “Learn, commit, and speak up”.
The commissioners also proclaimed Sept. 21, 2021 as the International Day of Peace or Peace Day. It is observed around the world. The YWCA of Gettysburg has participated in Peace Day for 23 years. The event will be celebrated by a Peace Walk/Run. The first 100 participants will get a free t-shirt. Then a moment of peace will be at noon. The event takes place at noon around the world in each time zone, creating a wave of peace.
Gettysburg Borough said it had received $120,298.00 for an ADA compliant curb ramp project from the 2018 Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) and used $37,205.01 of those funds to complete the project, and now would like to designate the remaining $83,092.99 towards the Gettysburg Borough South Street Streetscape project, along with $244,511 in additional CDBG funding. The planning department recommended the Board approve and e-sign the Community Development Block Grant Program Contract (#C000080369) with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, through the Department of Community and Economic Development (DCED).
This grant agreement provides that DCED will reimburse the County up to $554,756.00 for health services, sidewalks, and street improvements during the performance period of January 27, 2020 through July 28, 2025. This agreement is effective September 7, 2021 through July 28, 2025.
Commissioner Qually stated his concerns to not allow this money and the changes to cause regentrification of the area.
Other Approved Recommendations:
- $14,462.00 – COSTARS contract for Card readers and keypads for seven doors located in the Sheriff’s Department..
- Permitium LLC, for Online Weapons Permit Application cost is directly to the applicant at $4.00 per application. No cost to the county.
- Department of Probation Services-
- Adams County Equitable Compensation Letter – letter affirming that Juvenile Probation Officers are compensated equitably with other County and Court employees.
- No County match is required – Juvenile Probation Services Grant Agreement (#4100090170) – Agreement for grant award of $71,777.00. This award will be used in accordance with the Juvenile Justice System Enhancement Strategy (JJSES) Implementation Plan (“the Plan”), previously approved by the Juvenile Court Judges’ Commission on August 5, 2021. The Plan includes ongoing education and training of juvenile probation staff. This Agreement is effective September 7, 2021 and expires June 30, 2022.
- Children & Youth Services- 2021-2022 Purchase of Service Agreements: Affinity Forensic Services (Safeguards) and Concern
- Department of Emergency Services-
- Enact Resolution No. 7 of 2021 adopting the 2020 Hazard Mitigation Plan as the official Hazard Mitigation Plan of the County of Adams.
- $479.00- Harrisburg-York Overhead Door, Inc., service and preventive maintenance of four sectional doors at the Emergency Services building.
- Ratify the Declaration of Disaster Emergency with was signed on September 1, 2021 which was created due to the severe flooding caused by Hurricane Ida.
- IT Department-
- $8,878.77- Dell Technologies for Quest Kace System Management Appliance software and Kace System Deployment Appliance software. These software packages allow the IT Department to manage all County and Court devices connected to the network by pushing out tasks to the devices, inventorying all hardware and software, and sending out patches for software and operating systems.
- $16,520.00- The Center for Internet Security Inc. (CIS) for network and web application penetration testing services, designed to identifying any network vulnerabilities in the County system.
- CenturyLink Communications d/b/a Lumen Technologies:
- $264,960.00 for 3 years- Agreement for IP VPN services which will substantially increase the data bandwidth capacity between county buildings by switching from metro-ethernet to fiber network services.
- Addendum to Order No. DOC-0000958874 and Addendum to Order No. DOC-0000963976– Amends Order to clarify that it is governed by the terms of the CenturyLink Loyal Advantage Agreement previously approved by this Board on April 3, 2018. Addendum effective September 7, 2021.
- $31,320.00 for 3 years- Agreement for internet services which will increase peak data rate capacity from 400mps to 1Gbps.
- Commissioner’s Office-
- Engagement Letter for the professional services of John P. McLaughlin, Esquire of Campbell Durrant, P.C. of Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania, as special labor counsel to advise and direct the County’s collective bargaining team. Services to be billed at an hourly rate not to exceed $325.00/hour
- $1,579,011.00- Contract Agreement with D.A. Nolt, Inc. for the Human Services Building Re-Roofing Project, Cumberland Township
- Appoint Lisa Moreno-Woodward to the Central Pennsylvania Transportation Authority Board (CPTA) for a 5-year term effective September 1,2021 through August 31, 2026
- Re-appoint Commissioner James Martin to the Adams County Housing Authority Board for a 3-year term effective through August 2024
- Accept the retirement of Michael Jackman from the Adams County Housing Authority Board of Directors, effective August 18, 2021