You can have the Newsbeat regularly delivered to your mailbox so you never miss any news. This is a free service -- you can unsubscribe any time. Enter your email address and click the submit button; then confirm your subscription from your email.

Harry and Meghan moving back to Britain

Prince Harry and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, are reportedly preparing to move back to Britain with their two children, six years after leaving the country and settling in California.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are expected to relocate later this month to a private residence outside London, according to British media reports. Their children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, have reportedly been enrolled in a British school beginning in September.

newsbeat cropped

King Charles III was informed Sunday of the couple’s plans, according to reports. The move follows a reunion between Harry and his father last month at Highgrove in Gloucestershire.

The return, however, will not restore Harry and Meghan to their former positions as working members of the royal family. The couple stepped away from royal duties in 2020 and subsequently moved to the United States. They will remain private individuals and will not be offered a part-time role representing the monarchy.

The Sussexes have not officially commented on the reported move.

Prince William and Catherine, Princess of Wales, have also reportedly been informed. Relations between Harry and William have remained strained following Harry and Meghan’s public criticism of members of the royal family in interviews, documentaries and Harry’s memoir.

Security could remain a significant issue. Harry has previously said he did not feel safe bringing his wife and children to Britain without police protection. He lost a legal challenge over his security arrangements in May 2025 and has said the dispute was a major obstacle to returning with his family.

Details of security arrangements for the family’s return have not been disclosed. Harry and Meghan are generally not eligible for taxpayer-funded protection in Britain except under limited circumstances, including while at royal residences.

Despite the move, the couple is expected to retain their homes in California and Portugal.

The reported return represents a striking change from Harry’s position following his unsuccessful security case last year, when he said he could not envision bringing Meghan and their children back to Britain under the existing arrangements.

Harry has also repeatedly expressed a desire to reconcile with his family, particularly his father, while his relationship with William remains unresolved.

Source: The Guardian

>