VERO BEACH, Fla. – Every player that went to the plate posted a hit as Gettysburg College (5-2) kept its offense rolling with a 9-6 win over Dominican (Ill.) University (4-5) on Tuesday.
Gettysburg’s Top Performers
- Shane Manieri ’22 (Harleysville, Pa./La Salle College): 3-4, 3B, 2 Runs, 2 RBI
- Matt Szczesny ’21 (Schwenksville, Pa./Perkiomen Valley): 2-3, 2B, 2 Runs
- Mark Seibert ’22 (Yardley, Pa./Holy Ghost Prep): 2-5, 2B, 2 Runs, RBI
- Joe Giovinco ’20 (Stirling, N.J./Seton Hall Prep): 2-5, Run, 1.1 IP, 3 Ks, Save (2)
- Tim Fay ’22 (Easthampton, Mass./Williston Northampton): 5 IP, 4 Hits, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 Ks
Dominican’s Top Performers
- Frankie Sessa: 2-4, Run
- Johnny Condron: 1-2, 3B, 2 Runs, 3 RBI, 3 BB
- Nick Roeper: 2-5, 2B, RBI
- It was a quiet start with no runs for either team through the first three innings. The Stars threatened with runners in scoring position in the first, third, and fifth innings, but Fay worked out of the jams to complete five scoreless innings of work. After allowing a lead-off double in the third inning, he recorded a strikeout and back-to-back groundouts. In his final inning, the sophomore hurler stranded a pair of runners by inducing a fielder’s choice at third base to close the frame.
- Gettysburg’s bats came alive in the fourth inning as a dozen players came up to the plate and recorded four runs on four hits. Manieri provided the big blow with a two-run triple to center field. The Bullets tacked on two runs in the sixth and seventh to take a 6-1 lead.
- The first five Dominican hitters reached base in the top of the seventh. The Stars picked up a pair of runs before sophomore Sammy Sestito (Sea Girt, N.J./Saint Rose) slammed the door with three consecutive strikeouts.
- The Bullets padded the lead with two more runs in the top of the eighth. Senior Dom Gasparro (Clarksburg, N.J./Princeton Day School) brought home the first on a suicide squeeze and classmate Ryan LaCoe (Hershey, Pa./Hershey) scored the second with a single up the middle. Condron helped Dominican slice the deficit down to 8-6 with a two-run triple as part of a three-run inning, but Giovinco took the mound with the potential game-tying run at the plate and struck out Roeper to end the threat.
- Freshman Adam Zakaria (Lawrenceville, N.J./Lawrence) became the 10th Bullet with a hit after knocking an RBI single to center in the top of the ninth. Giovinco retired the side in the bottom of the frame with two strikeouts and a groundout to pick up his second save of the season.
By the Numbers
- Gettysburg has posted at least 15 hits in each of its last three games. In each of those contests, at least nine different Bullets have posted a base hit.
- The team is slugging .651 with 33 extra-base hits so far this spring.
- Fay has not allowed an earned run in each of his last three appearances dating back to last season. In his final showing of 2019, he allowed only an unearned run over five innings of work against Muhlenberg. The sophomore has tossed six scoreless innings in 2020.
- Szczesny is 10-for-13 with six runs and six RBI over the last three games.
- Giovinco posted multiple hits in a game for the fifth time this spring. He leads the team with a .594 (19-for-32) batting average. On the mound, he is 2-for-2 in save opportunities and has struck out five over 3.1 innings.
Where the Series Stands
Gettysburg and Dominican met for the first time on the baseball diamond.
The Bullets take a day off Wednesday before resuming the spring break schedule with a nine-inning affair against Marymount University Thursday at
This story was originally posted on the Gettysburg College Website.