MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – Freshman Jasmin Herrera (Hollywood, Fla./Cooper City) struck out a career-high 12 to lead Gettysburg College (6-1) past Penn State Schuylkill (0-4) 6-0 at the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic on Tuesday.
Top Performances – Gettysburg
– Jasmin Herrera ’23 – 12 strikeouts, no runs on six hits, allowed just two walks, complete game
– Shelby Baker ’21 (Pickerington, Ohio/Pickerington North) – 2-for-3 from the plate, 3 RBI, double
– Emily Colline ’21 (Bridgewater, N.J./Immaculata) – 2-for-3 from the plate, triple, two runs
Top Performances – Penn State Schuylkill
– Taylor Stall – 1-for-1 at the plate
- The hot-hitting Bullets continued to pour out the runs as the team scored in all but one inning against Penn State Schuylkill. Gettysburg started the game by posting two runs off an RBI double by Baker to collect an early lead.
- Penn State Schuylkill looked poised to score in the second as Alyssa Gerbe tripled to right field with the first at-bat, but Herrera went to work and halted any chances as she struck out the next three batters.
- After two outs to open the second, senior Nicole Farese (Sayville, N.Y./Sayville) hit a single, which was followed by the reigning Centennial Conference Player of the Week senior Sarahrose Jonik’s (Glenmoore, Pa./Villa Maria Academy) triple that brought Farese across the plate. Julie then tacked on an RBI single to make it 4-0 heading into the third.
- Colline, who notched her first career triple in yesterday’s victory against Lancaster Bible, opened the third with a triple to right field. Baker reached first on an error by the center fielder, which allowed Colline to tally the fifth run.
- A sacrifice fly by freshman Olivia Moser (Robbinsville, N.J./Robbinsville) in the fifth concluded the Bullets scoring to secure their second shutout victory in two days.
By the Numbers
- In the first seven games of the season, the Bullets have accumulated 58 runs on 83 hits, 53 RBI, and 20 doubles.
- Herrera now improves to 2-0 on the season as she has complied 17 strikeouts in total. In all, the four Bullets pitchers have logged in 57 strikeouts in seven games.
- By Baker going 2-for-3, she now needs eight more hits to reach 100 career.
- After collecting her 100th career hit against Mary Washington, Jonik needs 14 more runs to make it to 100 overall. She was named the Centennial Conference Player of the Week, which was the first in her career, it was announced today after hitting .857 (6-of-7) with three RBI, two runs, two doubles, and a homer in the two victories on Sunday.
- The Orange and Blue have notched six or more runs in all but two games this season.
- With today’s victory, the Bullets have recorded two shutouts this season.
Where the Series Stands
This was the first-ever meeting between Gettysburg and Penn State Schuylkill.
The Bullets will play two games on Wednesday at the Fastpitch Dreams Spring Classic, facing Greenville University and the University of Saint Joseph (Conn.) at 3:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively.
This story was originally posted on the Gettysburg College Website.