HILTON HEAD, S.C. – The Gettysburg College women’s tennis team (1-3) opened the spring campaign with a 9-0 setback at the hands of the University of Lynchburg (5-1) on Tuesday.
1. Christina Harris (LYNW) def. Samantha Boardman (GCW) 6-1, 6-4
2. Elizabeth Teefey (LYNW) def. Alex Rieg (GCW) 6-1, 6-2
3. Ellen Druebbisch (LYNW) def. Shaye Barnes (GCW) 6-2, 6-1
4. Alissa Anderson (LYNW) def. Alexis Rinker (GCW) 6-1, 6-1
5. Lauren Pascadlo (LYNW) def. Katie DeLia (GCW) 6-0, 6-1
6. Alexa Hardesty (LYNW) def. Maddie Urbano (GCW) 6-1, 6-2
1. Christina Harris/Caroline Guill (LYNW) def. Samantha Boardman/Alex Rieg (GCW) 8-4
2. Alissa Anderson/Lauren Pascadlo (LYNW) def. Shaye Barnes/Katie DeLia (GCW) 8-0
3. Elizabeth Teefey/Grace Teefey (LYNW) def. Alexis Rinker/Shelby Deron (GCW) 8-0
The Hornets began the match by sweeping through doubles play, including 8-0 wins at No. 2 and No. 3. Gettysburg’s top tandem of senior Samantha Boardman (Greenwich, Conn./Brooks School) and Alex Rieg (Phoenixville, Pa./Phoenixville) won four games in an 8-4 loss to Christina Harris and Caroline Guill at the top flight.
Boardman scored the most points for the Bullets in singles action, but fell to Harris 6-1, 6-4 at the top flight. The Hornets swept the remaining five flights without allowing more than three points.
Where the Series Stands Now
This was the first-ever meeting between Gettysburg and Lynchburg.
Gettysburg meets Webster University Wednesday at noon in Hilto
This story was originally posted on the Gettysburg College Website.