LANCASTER, Pa. – Freshman Julia Piness (Chatham, N.J./Chatham) posted fourth in the 60-meter hurdles to land on the programs all-time list to lead the Gettysburg College women’s track and field team on the final day of the Centennial Conference Championship on Saturday at Franklin & Marshall College.
Gettysburg’s Top Performers
Julia Piness ’23
- 60-Meter Hurdles – Fourth (9.75- Third in program history)
Georgia Larzelere ’22 (Medford, N.J./Shawnee)
- 800-Meter Run – Fifth (2:26.18)
- After taking fifth in the 60-meter hurdles prelims and setting a new PR, Piness blistered to finish just outside the top three, nine seconds behind Rashida Haye from Muhlenberg, on her way to now claiming the third best indoor mark in program history.
- In a field of 22 runners, Larzelere finished fifth in the 800-meter run with a time of 2:26.18, shy of her PR of 2:26.01 mark that she set at the Susquehanna University Invitational a couple of weeks ago.
- Senior Abigail Rec (Long Valley, N.J./West Morris Central) took seventh in the 60-meter hurdles prelims on Saturday and finished eighth in the finals on Sunday with a 10.92 time. She also leaped to seventh-place in the long jump with a distance of 15-11.50.
- Gettysburg finished sixth in the 4×400-meter relay. The team of Lillian Morell (Frederick, Md./Urbana), Emily Wielk (West Haven, Conn./Sacred Heart), Julia Wert (Harrisburg, Pa./Central Dauphin), and Rec logged in a time of 4:23.48.
- In the high jump, sophomore Anna Pienkos (North Haven, Conn./Sacred Heart Academy) tied for eighth with a 4-07.50 mark.
- As a team, Gettysburg finished with 20.25 points and placed ninth among 10 teams. Johns Hopkins placed first with 262.25 points and was followed by Dickinson (123.50), Swarthmore (85), Ursinus (63.25), Muhlenberg (62.75), Haverford (50), Bryn Mawr (43), Franklin & Marshall (25), and McDaniel (6).
Gettysburg continues its season with a last-chance meet at the Roanoke Qualifier next weekend before opening the outdoor campaign on March 28.
This story was originally posted on the Gettysburg College Website.