Senior Colin Devlin (Dresher, Pa./Upper Dublin) and sophomore Ray Martin (Downingtown, Pa./West Chester Henderson) won their final matches of the season to place among the top eight at the NCAA Division III Southeast Regional Championship hosted by Messiah College on Saturday.
- 149: Colin Devlin ’20 – 5th, 3-2, major decision, decision, pin
- 157: Ray Martin ’22 – 7th, 3-2, 2 pins, decision
- Devlin began the day paired against 2019 NCAA regional nemesis Michael Heinl from Washington and Jefferson College. Heinl, who beat Devlin 11-9 in the third-place match at regionals last season, jumped out to a 4-0 lead with a first-period takedown and back points in the second period. Devlin began his comeback with a reversal to end the second frame, but Heinl escaped to start the third and gained a 5-2 advantage. The Gettysburg senior secured a takedown with 35 seconds left in the final stanza, but time ran out before he could complete a move to turn Heinl’s shoulders toward the mat for back points. Devlin picked up a penalty point at the end of the match, but the riding-time advantage favored Heinl in the 6-5 decision.
- Devlin was thwarted in his bid for a top-three finish with an 8-1 loss to Raymond Kable from McDaniel College in the consolation semis. He rebounded with a quick finish in the fifth-place match, grabbing Joey Santomarco’s leg and using his longer reach to pull the Lycoming College wrestler’s shoulders to the mat in 36 seconds.
- Martin was upended by Colby Morris from Waynesburg University 9-7 in his first consolation bout. Tied 2-2 after the first period, Martin scored a pair of takedowns in the second period to jump in front 6-3, but a last-second reversal by Morris cut the margin down to 6-5 entering the final stanza. The Yellow Jacket grappler carried the momentum into the next period and tallied an escape and takedown to jump in front 8-6. Martin managed an escape, but Morris was able to evade the Gettysburg sophomore’s takedown attempts and scored the riding time point for a 9-7 decision.
- In the seventh-place bout, Martin scored a takedown in the first-period against McDaniel’s Alexander LaVeck and added a reversal to start the second frame. LaVeck sliced the margin in half with a reversal of his own in the second period, but Martin tallied the final four points with an escape, takedown, and riding-time to clinch an 8-2 win.
By the Numbers
- Devlin placed among the top five at the regional event for the third time. He was fifth at 141 in 2017 and fourth at 149 in 2019. He logged a record of 26-6 this season and finished his career ranked fifth in program history with a mark of 106-37. Devlin’s pin in the fifth-place match was the 38th of his career, moving him into second on the program’s list.
- Martin closed the year with a record of 28-16 and 18 pins. His fall total was the second-best in program history for a single season. He placed at the regional for the first time in his career.
- Gettysburg finished 16th out of 20 teams with 29.5 points. Stevens Institute of Technology won the regional title with 163.5 points.
This story was originally posted on the Gettysburg College Website.