Spots in the national championship are on the line as the Gettysburg College wrestling team heads to the NCAA Southeast Regional Championship hosted by Messiah College this Friday and Saturday (Feb. 28-29).
Messiah has created a landing page for regional information ranging from tickets to live results and video. Results and live video will be managed by TrackWrestling.
Gettysburg has sent wrestlers to the NCAA Regional every year since the tournament was set up in 2013. The top three finishers in each weight class will earn a bid to the NCAA Division III Championships at the U.S. Cellular Center in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, on March 13-14. Messiah won last season’s Southeast Regional, while Gettysburg placed eighth overall on the strength of four top-eight finishes. The Bullets have qualified wrestlers for the national championship at each of the last four regional tournaments.
- 125: Ethan Greenberg ’23 (Medford, N.J./Shawnee)
- 133: Jake Stein ’23 (Basking Ridge, N.J./Ridge)
- 141: Sean Thompson ’21 (Plainsboro, N.J./West Windsor-Plainsboro South)
- 149: Colin Devlin ’20 (Dresher, Pa./Upper Dublin)
- 157: Ray Martin ’22 (Downingtown, Pa./West Chester Henderson)
- 165: Marc Larson ’21 (Warren, N.J./Watchung Hills)
- 174: Mason Canonico ’22 (Kailua, Hawaii/Punahou)
- 184: Brendan Loder ’23 (Westfield, N.J./Westfield)
- 197: Jon Stix ’23 (Lexington, Mass./Northfield Mount Hermon)
- 285: Paul Pelham ’23 (Devon, Pa./Conestoga)
By the Numbers
- Gettysburg will send out a similar lineup to its squad that traveled to the Centennial Conference Championship with two significant changes with the addition of Devlin and Larson at 149 and 165, respectively.
- Devlin has the most experience at the regional event, having placed fifth in 2017 and just missing a national bid with a fourth-place effort last season. The senior has posted a record of 23-4 overall with nine falls at 149 this season. Devlin won the Gettysburg Invitational and placed third at both the Messiah Invite and the Petrofes Tournament. He was waylaid by an injury late in the year and missed the conference tournament, but he heads into his final weekend ready to make a run at his first trip to the national stage.
- Thompson is aiming to place for the first time in three trips to the regional. He has won a match in each of his two previous regional trips. Thompson leads the team in wins with a record of 30-15 at 141 pounds. Eleven of his victories have come by pin-fall with six more by major decision. The junior finished third at the Gettysburg Invite and is coming off a third-place finish at the CC Championship.
- Both Martin and Larson are looking to build off their regional debuts a season ago. Martin won a pair of matches at 157 at the 2019 regional and has gone 25-14 with 16 falls this season. Larson is in the midst of a breakout season with 20 wins and eight falls at 165. He earned a major decision at last year’s regional.
- The rest of the lineup is composed of first-time regional participants. The last Bullet to qualify for the national championship in his regional debut was Paul Triandafilou ’19 in 2016. Triandafilou finished regional runner-up at heavyweight and went on to earn All-America status with a fifth-place finish at NCAAs.
This story was originally posted on the Gettysburg College Website.