Freshman Eric Mougalian (Kinnelon, N.J./Kinnelon) moved past the 20-win mark for the season and placed fourth overall at the Futures Tournament hosted by Muhlenberg College on Sunday, Feb. 23.
- Eric Mougalian ’23 – 3-2, 2 falls, decision, 4th at 149
- Kelvin Cupay ’22 (Beach Park, Ill./Warren Township) – 3-2 at 157 pounds
- Mougalian opened his day by pinning Robbie Fleming from York (Pa.) College 26 seconds into the second period. The Gettysburg first-year added another second-period pin to reach the semifinals, where he was taken to the mat by Washington and Lee’s Joe Salerno in the first period. Mougalian battled his way to an 8-5 decision in the consolation semifinals. He fell in the third-place bout against Joe Schneider from Stevens 9-2.
- Cupay ran off three-straight wins to begin his day in the 157 bracket. Each of his first two bouts ended with first-period falls and he posted a 6-3 win over Matt Surich from TCNJ to reach the semifinals. After getting upended by a close decision, Cupay’s day ended by pin in the consolation semis.
- Sophomore Alex Shaffer (Doylestown, Pa./Archbishop Wood) picked up a pair of wins at 141. He won his opener by pin with 11 seconds to spare in the first round and he tallied another pin in his first match in the wrestleback.
- Freshman Michael Daugherty (Salisbury, Md./Parkside) earned a pair of wins in the consolation bracket at 157. He earned his first win with a second-period pin and he added a 6-0 decision in his next bout.
By the Numbers
- Gettysburg only sent seven wrestlers to the event with the rest of the lineup gearing up for next weekend’s regional.
- Mougalian became the fifth Bullet to reach 20 wins this season. He finishes his freshman campaign with a record of 21-21 with nine pins.
Gettysburg competes in the NCAA Division III Southeast Regional Championship hosted by Messiah College on Feb. 28-29.
This story was originally posted on the Gettysburg College Website.