The Adams County Board of Commissioners has made the following proclamations:
Child Abuse and Neglect Prevention Month – April: Child abuse has been identified as a national health crisis. In Adams County, 1,313 incidents of alleged child abuse or neglect were reported in 2020. The Proclamation states, “all children deserve to have a safe, stable, nurturing home and communities that foster their healthy growth and development…child abuse prevention is a community responsibility and finding solutions depends on the involvement among all people.” Adams County Children and Youth Services is committed to promoting healing while increasing resilience and hope. They want the community, including individuals, faith communities, health care providers, civic organizations, law enforcement, businesses, and schools to understand their importance in this process.
National Crime Victims’ Rights Week – April 18-24, 2021: The Victims of Crime Act was passed in 1984 and has been growing and improving with help from advocates and lawmakers. The proclamation honors the rights of victims to be heard, treated with fairness, dignity and respect as well as rebuild their trust with the criminal and social justice systems. The proclamation also serves as a reminder to keep moving forward with innovative ways for victims to have accessible, appropriate, and trauma -informed services.
Stand Against Racism Week – April 18-24, 2021: The proclamation states, “by investing in marginalized communities, empowering people of color, and expanding public resources, we can change centuries of unfair social, economic, and political systems which contribute to inequality…The County of Adams takes this opportunity to reaffirm its commitment to making our county a place where harassment, intimidation, discrimination, and hate are not acceptable…we encourage all citizens to join us in striving to make our community vibrant, safe, prosperous, and inclusive for all.”
Primary Election Polling Location Changes
Due to COVID-19 pandemic, the Adams County Board of Elections has moved the following polling places within the respective election districts.
- Gettysburg Ward 2: Temporary change for May Primary Election and November General Election from the Gettysburg College Union Building to the Gettysburg Fire Hall on North Stratton Street.
- Straban Ward 1: Temporary change for May Primary Election and November General Election from the Lutheran Retirement Village to the Adams County Alliance at 1300 Proline Place.
- McSherrystown Wards 1 and 2: :Permanent change beginning with the May Primary Election moving from the Knights of Columbus to the McSherrystown Senior Center at 201 S Third Street.
- Oxford Ward 2: Permanent change beginning with the May Primary Election moving from the Nicarry Meeting House at the Brethren Home to the Irishtown Fire Hall at 934 Irishtown Road.
The Planning Department approved the following 2020 Parks, Recreation, and Green Space Grant Agreements between the County and the following:
- Hamiltonban Township – Parking Area Design/Construction – $25,000.00
- Gettysburg Area Recreation Authority (GARA) – Renovation of Restroom Facilities – $6,800.10
- Straban Township – Purchase and Installation of ADA Playground Equipment – $25,000.00
- Freedom Township – Construction of a Picnic Pavilion, Cornhole/Horseshoe Pits, BBQ Grill & Parking – $25,000.00
- Gettysburg Borough – Purchase and installation of Street Lights, Benches & Trash Bins for the Inner Loop – $25,000.00
Other Approved Recommendations:
- Probation Services- $111,819.00 for PA Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD) for support of salaries and benefits of 29 adult probation staff members.
- Probation Services- Extends july 1, 2017 agreement with PA Parole Board so they can reimburse the County certain fees.
- Probation Services- $88,657.00 for Application for PCCD Financial Support to support the County Intermediate Punishment Program (IPP) for 2021-2022.
- Law Library- $7,026.94 for 3 year contract of Westlaw access
- Treasurer- Contract with Allpaid, Inc. dba GOVPAYNET for 1.15% credit card fee per transaction.
- Planning Department- Authorizing the County to coordinate competitive bidding process for waste collection services for 22 of the 34 municipalities in Adams County.
- Planning Department- $2,118.00 1 year contract with Print-O-State, Inc on going service contract on Hewlett Packard equipment.
- Building & Maintenance- $2,351.00 for 3 year contract with Johnson Controls Fire Protection LP for service of sprinkler system at the Human Services Building.
- Information Technology DocStar Upgrade
- $11,700.00 contract ends upon completion of the task. Contract with Kyocera Group to upgrade the Controllers current legacy workflow set up to improve process for coding and paying invoices
- $4,095.00 one year license with Quality Digital Office Technology enabling modern workflow engine capabilities.
- Finance Department change of name to “The Office of Budget & Purchasing” as of April 12, 2021.
The next scheduled Board of Commissioners meeting will be on Wednesday April 20 at 9:00 a.m.
Jenine Weaver is a staff writer for the Connection. She grew up and currently resides in Adams County PA. She is the founder of Weaver Accounting Solutions LLC and a mom of 4 children. She enjoys being involved with the community, the school, town meetings, local fundraisers, and she is an advocate of social justice with Voices Unite in GAC.