On March 8, 2023 eligible Cumberland Township Police Department officers engaged in a competitive examination for promotion to Sergeant. The officers had to answer scenario and leadership questions fielded by an Oral Board staffed by experienced police commanders from the Pennsylvania State Police, West Manchester Township Police Department and York City Police Department. The officers also had to complete a graded practical examination evaluated by the Adams County District Attorney’s Office.
Police Chief Matthew Trostel compiled all of the grading criteria and made the formal recommendation to the Board of Supervisors Personnel Committee Chair Shaun Phiel and Supervisor Chrissy Biggins to promote Officer Joshua Rosenberger. The Personnel Committee then forwarded that recommendation for full Board confirmation by public vote. “It is important to note that the examining board was highly impressed with Officer Rosenberger’s qualifications and professional record,” Chief Trostel noted when presenting the recommendation to the Board of Supervisors at their March 28, 2023 meeting. The Board unanimously approved the recommendation and witnessed Chief Trostel handing Rosenberger his Sergeant stripes. The ceremony was attended by numerous supporters.
Below listed are some of Sergeant Rosenberger’s credentials that helped qualify him for this promotion:
Career & Education Timeline
- 2006– Bachelor of Science Degree in Criminal Justice, Shippensburg University, PA
- 2012– Indiana University of Pennsylvania Municipal Police Academy – Class vice president
- 2012– Hired as a part time police officer by CTPD
- 2013– Appointed to Full time Officer Status
- 2022– Appointed Acting Sergeant of B Squad
CTPD Department Instructor Certifications
- Field training officer
- Department Taser Instructor
- Expandable Baton Instructor
- OC Pepper Spray Instructor
Awards and Commendations
- 2019 Certificate of Appreciation Pennsylvania Aggressive Driving Enforcement and Education Program
- 2016, May 15- Cumberland Township Police Department Commendation for CPR lifesaving efforts during a heroin overdose which resulted in the patient surviving.
- 2015, September 19- Cumberland Township Police Department Commendation for pulling an unconscious pilot out of an airplane wreckage at risk and danger to personal safety.
- Penn State- High Impact Supervision (HIS)
- Penn State- Police Supervisory In-Service Training (POSIT)
- Leading Blue High-Performance Leadership
Donate Gardner, freelance reporter, came to Gettysburg in 2021 from Montgomery County, Maryland. A former linguist-turned-legal professional, Donate recently retired from the corporate world and is eager to support her new community in a variety of ways. As an immigrant born, raised, and educated in Germany, Donate still maintains a strong connection to the German language as a freelance writer and translator. Donate is an active musician and has made her new home in Gettysburg available to host house concerts for traveling musicians and local artists in need of support. Donate and her husband have two daughters and three grandchildren.