Wellspan Health has proposed the following techniques that may be helpful to you if you are feeling stressed or anxious.
- Plan ahead. Make sure you have adequate supplies at home and plans for childcare and working from home, if that is what you are doing.
- Establish routines and schedules. Do you have kids who are home from school? Consider drawing up and posting a daily schedule, with times for learning, play, exercise, chores and other items.
- Practice mindfulness by focusing on things within your control, such as your daily routine, and things in your life that are positive, such as family or friends.
- Exercise. Take walks and get fresh air. Build this into your daily schedule at regular intervals.
- Incorporate joy into your schedule too! Play with your kids or a pet. Listen to music. Watch a funny movie.
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Limit media exposure and stay informed with trusted sources.
- Get adequate sleep and limit screen time before bed.
- Remember it’s normal to feel anxious during stressful times. Be kind to yourself. It’s important to take care of yourself so you can help take care of others.
There is more information including helpful videos available at the Wellspan website.
If you or a loved one are struggling to manage stress, anxiety or depression, Wellspan is here to help. To talk with a therapist please call (717) 812-5405. Your call will include a brief intake assessment, intervention and support.